Now, I am the first to admit that I have not been the best big sister. I am seven and 8 1/2 years older than my sisters, so it was a shock to me, in 2nd grade, that I now had to share my parents, space, and whole world with these crying, meddling, drooly little things. I know I was bossy and controlling throughout the years. I remember telling them I would pay them $1 for every minute they rubbed my back, and I'm almost positive I never paid them a dime. I was also reminded Saturday night how I tortured them both by making them wet their pants. (Although the reminder came through Kaylee's demonstration on my own children.) Even as a high schooler and young adult, there weren't too many choices I made that I am not proud of. There are a myriad of things I did back then of which (only by the grace of God) they are not aware, but they have asked me about events in my past that I am, even now, embarrassed to admit.
As a big sister, I should have been the leader, the positive example, the one showing them how to serve others, love without condition, make good decisions that would not negatively affect my life, and most importantly, how to love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. This, however, was far from what was out there for them to see and follow. I will never forget sitting in my car after a night of eating out with an almost 16 year old Kaylee and 14 year old Morgan and fighting to get the words out that me, still unmarried, was pregnant once again. I hated looking in the back seat and seeing the hurt and disappointment in their eyes. Now, as teens, I'm not sure if that hurt and disappointment was more for me or the fact that I would still be invading their space, their time, and their teenage years that should be full of fun and friends.
If most of us were to think about the teens we know, sacrificing for family would be nowhere near the top of a list of characteristics they display. It would probably not even find its way on to the list if we were asked for 100 things. Sacrifice...that's exactly what my sisters did for me all those years I was a single mom. They gave up having their own rooms, had to share a bathroom with three other people, and constantly babysat while I worked, went to school, and even just got out of the house for a while. As disappointed as they were in me and the choices I made, they loved me, my kids, and just gave and gave to us when they could have chosen otherwise. For this, I am so grateful.Not only am I grateful, but I realize that no matter what our differences in opinions, personalities, and preferences, we are sisters. We have been through many trials, life lessons, and a ton of fun together, but I pray that as the last one of us gets married this January, they bless me with more nieces and nephews, we finish school, start new careers, and things all around us continue to change, we will stay close, help each other out, and not ever lose sight of how important our relationship with one another is. Our love for one another should never fade, expire, or even be in question. What a special bond sisters have. I cannot imagine what my life might have been without the love, support, and sacrifices from my little sisters. I also know that, although I have not agreed with every decision, action and behavior of theirs, I love them and pray that I will be ready, willing, and able to help them like they have helped me.




























No comments:
Post a Comment