Tuesday, September 2

Holy Spirit Conviction...It Does The Body Good

Last night as I checked my cafemom, my playlist started playing "Healer" by Hillsong. The writer, Michael Guglielmucci, gave testimony of suffering from an evasive type of cancer that had him wheelchair bound and needing oxygen during every performance. He told of his pain and suffering caused by this disease and how he wrote the song as a claim of his healing and his praise to the Lord for his healing. I was so moved by this story and the song, but recently discovered that Mr. Guglielmucci has admitted to making up the story about cancer because he was really sick from his secret life of pornography addiction. His body did suffer physically (hair loss, vomiting, severe weakness, etc), but not because he had cancer. Even his own family had no clue that he was not suffering from cancer. Only he and the Lord new of his lies. He has confessed to deceiving millions by his tale of sickness, disease, illness and his healing. He was in hiding with his wife and children, but finally came out and spoke to an Australian news program confessing his sin and proclaiming that he will tell the truth from now on. All of his ministry credentials have been suspended or terminated. It is truly sad that this could take place in the life of the church, but because he was so afraid of the truth of his sin and the life he was leading, he was only led into more destruction. It is a shame that anyone could use ministry to advance a lie; however, many of the members of his church congregation told reporters that we are all human and we all sin. Most of them have forgiven him and don't desire to have any of the money that they donated to his ministry repaid. Here lately, Chris and I have both been struggling with having our feelings hurt, being offended, and not feeling well because of allergy symptoms and me having some stomach issues. We've been arguing and not wanting to go to church because of these and other things with which we are dealing. I have really struggled lately with not wanting to enter into a time of worship anywhere, but especially at church. Last night, the Holy Spirit convicted me of this as the song played. He reminded me that all these petty things I thought were so horrible are nothing compared to the suffering that others are facing. I was thinking about Michael and his cancer. He was dying from this devastating disease that I have seen take the life of so many, especially some to whom I was very close. Now that I know the whole testimony behind the writing of the song was a hoax, I still feel convicted about my pettiness. Although this man is not and has not ever suffered from cancer, he is suffering now. Yes, it's because of his sin, addiction to pornography, and his lies to hide that addiction, that he suffers, but if we were truly the body of Christ that God has called us to be, no one would be too ashamed to confess their sins one to another and redemption, forgiveness, and freedom would be found, not only from the Lord, but from our brothers and sisters in Christ. I still believe that the Holy Spirit was convicting me of being petty and selfish because there are so many others out there who are worse off than me, but I know that he is also revealing to me that people need to know they don't have to be ashamed because they sin. They need to know that the God of the universe is forgiving, no matter the sin. They need to know that there are other people out there suffering from the same addictions, pain, heartache, and guilt that they do. It is so important that we have the mind of Christ. That's what he has called us to do, but we can't honestly believe we are obeying Him in this when there are those like Michael suffering from the hold of the enemy on their lives but who suffer alone because they are too afraid to ask for help. They are too afraid to reach out to others to battle with them because we might look down on or shun them, ask them to leave the church, or tells others about their suffering. Our lives are no secret to the Lord. He sees our every move, knows our every thought, and what's scarier still, He knows our hearts. Not only do I vow to forget all the mess in my life (hurt feelings, pain, offenses, etc.) and remember how blessed I truly am, but I will remember all those sins I have committed in the past that I don't wish for anyone to know about but that are now cast as far as the east is from the west. I will think about how my life could have turned out and how I could still be wrestling with or living in that sin without anyone to turn to. I will remember how alone I felt in that sin, until I confessed it to the Lord and found forgiveness and freedom. I will recall how hard it would have been to face those struggles alone. I will reach out to those in need so that they no longer have to hide. They don't have to make up a lie that brings glory to God and draws attention away from their sin because they're too ashamed of what we will think about them. Yes, God deserves all the glory, but we must also focus on taking care of business, being forgiven, and walking in freedom. I am so excited about walking this out. I am also thrilled to sing "Healer". Not because I feel sorry for Michael and his family, but because it is biblical truth and a proclamation of my walk with the Lord, my pursuit of freedom in Christ, and claiming what God desires for me to have...complete and total healing- physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and financial.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good post. Makes me think...