On Thursday April 23rd, I got a call from my OB's office telling me that there were some abnormalities in some tests they had run when I was admitted to the hospital for the second time for dehydration and severely low blood sugar. The nurse told me that my doctor wanted me to pack my bag for the hospital and bring it with me to my regular weekly appointment because Dr. Phillips was pretty certain I would deliver that day. I frantically started making calls to everyone telling them to be prepared for a baby that very day. I packed my bag and tried to get everything ready for whomever would be home while I was in the hospital. I thought that I had a whole other week before delivery so I hadn't gotten much accomplished quite yet. I got it all done though and anxiously headed for the doctor's office.
Dr. Phillips came in and told me that they were calling l & d to make sure there was a bed for me and room in the schedule for my c-section. She told me she would not be delivering, but Dr. DeRiese, whom had seen me before, would do the delivery. Kaylee and I, again, started calling and texting everyone to tell them we were headed to the hospital and it would be around 1:00 or so that afternoon when I would deliver.
Everyone made it to the hospital safely and visited before I went back to the OR. Chris's family was super excited because it was their first grand baby. After the first hour, I was pretty much oblivious to anyone who was not a doctor or nurse.
Soon, I headed for the OR to get my spinal and to be prepped for surgery. After everything was set and they were about to begin, I started to worry because they had not brought Chris in yet. I loved having him there with me, but I was most concerned that he would miss the actual birth. One nurse finally remembered he was waiting in the hallway and got him in there. He sat at my head and held my hand the entire time. He was so sweet and attentive to me. He was an excited daddy once they finally got her out, but he still sat and held my hand until it was time to take the baby out to see the family. I did get a little sick from the anesthesia, but that's what has happened at four of my five surgeries.
Our sweet baby girl had arrived at 2:34 p.m. after 8 1/2 months of sickness, high and low blood sugar, three hospital stays, and bed rest. She was 9 lbs. 6 ozs. and 20 1/2 ins. long. She had a bit more hair than my other two and it was definitely a lot darker than theirs too. She took a while to go from blueish purple to pink, but when she did, she was for sure my least fair baby. Everyone oohed and awed over her chubby little cheeks and how big she was, but I just thought she was so amazing and beautiful. Even after two other babies, it amazed me that I had a little part in creating her.
They took me back to my room and let me hold her on the way from the operating room. Chris got to give her her first bath and it was so sweet to watch. This was a whole new thing for him. I have to remind myself that from time to time. Carson and Olivia were so excited that she had finally arrived and they already wanted to hold and cuddle her non-stop. They were so sweet.
After a few visitors, the nurse gave everyone the boot because my blood pressure spiked. She turned off the lights and only allowed Chris to stay with me. Several hours later, they moved me to Maternal Fetal ICU because my pressure still wouldn't fall. Most everyone left the hospital because they didn't really want me to have any visitors until my pressure dropped dramatically. I was put on magnesium to help the process along, but it didn't seem to kick in until 24 hours later when my pressure dropped way too low. I was so out of it that they fed Emerson formula because I couldn't even respond well enough to breast feed her.
At around 6 Friday night, I finally got to head to a regular postpartum room and see my family and friends. It was such a relief to be off the weird meds and in a less dramatic environment. I got to nurse Emerson regularly, get out of bed, and thank goodness, take a shower. I got to spend more than thirty minutes with my other kids and the rest of my family. One of the biggest things for me was the fact that I actually got to eat. You see, the morning the doctor's office called, I was just about to eat breakfast, but the phone call stopped me. Since I had a c-section and was pretty much conked out, I only got to have a bit of broth Friday afternoon. Because I hadn't actually had a meal since Wednesday night, hospital food never tasted so good.
Dr. Phillips came in and told me that they were calling l & d to make sure there was a bed for me and room in the schedule for my c-section. She told me she would not be delivering, but Dr. DeRiese, whom had seen me before, would do the delivery. Kaylee and I, again, started calling and texting everyone to tell them we were headed to the hospital and it would be around 1:00 or so that afternoon when I would deliver.
Everyone made it to the hospital safely and visited before I went back to the OR. Chris's family was super excited because it was their first grand baby. After the first hour, I was pretty much oblivious to anyone who was not a doctor or nurse.
Soon, I headed for the OR to get my spinal and to be prepped for surgery. After everything was set and they were about to begin, I started to worry because they had not brought Chris in yet. I loved having him there with me, but I was most concerned that he would miss the actual birth. One nurse finally remembered he was waiting in the hallway and got him in there. He sat at my head and held my hand the entire time. He was so sweet and attentive to me. He was an excited daddy once they finally got her out, but he still sat and held my hand until it was time to take the baby out to see the family. I did get a little sick from the anesthesia, but that's what has happened at four of my five surgeries.
Our sweet baby girl had arrived at 2:34 p.m. after 8 1/2 months of sickness, high and low blood sugar, three hospital stays, and bed rest. She was 9 lbs. 6 ozs. and 20 1/2 ins. long. She had a bit more hair than my other two and it was definitely a lot darker than theirs too. She took a while to go from blueish purple to pink, but when she did, she was for sure my least fair baby. Everyone oohed and awed over her chubby little cheeks and how big she was, but I just thought she was so amazing and beautiful. Even after two other babies, it amazed me that I had a little part in creating her.
They took me back to my room and let me hold her on the way from the operating room. Chris got to give her her first bath and it was so sweet to watch. This was a whole new thing for him. I have to remind myself that from time to time. Carson and Olivia were so excited that she had finally arrived and they already wanted to hold and cuddle her non-stop. They were so sweet.
After a few visitors, the nurse gave everyone the boot because my blood pressure spiked. She turned off the lights and only allowed Chris to stay with me. Several hours later, they moved me to Maternal Fetal ICU because my pressure still wouldn't fall. Most everyone left the hospital because they didn't really want me to have any visitors until my pressure dropped dramatically. I was put on magnesium to help the process along, but it didn't seem to kick in until 24 hours later when my pressure dropped way too low. I was so out of it that they fed Emerson formula because I couldn't even respond well enough to breast feed her.
At around 6 Friday night, I finally got to head to a regular postpartum room and see my family and friends. It was such a relief to be off the weird meds and in a less dramatic environment. I got to nurse Emerson regularly, get out of bed, and thank goodness, take a shower. I got to spend more than thirty minutes with my other kids and the rest of my family. One of the biggest things for me was the fact that I actually got to eat. You see, the morning the doctor's office called, I was just about to eat breakfast, but the phone call stopped me. Since I had a c-section and was pretty much conked out, I only got to have a bit of broth Friday afternoon. Because I hadn't actually had a meal since Wednesday night, hospital food never tasted so good.
Finally, on Sunday afternoon, we got to load up our truck and head home. It was what I had been praying for all weekend. The whole journey of this pregnancy had oh so many ups and downs, but I am so thrilled to have our happy little family of five. We are truly blessed!

Alexandra Nanny Photography

Danielle Patton Photography

Danielle Patton Photography

Danielle Patton Photography

Alexandra Nanny Photography

Alexandra Nanny Photography

Alexandra Nanny Photography

Alexandra Nanny Photography

Danielle Patton Photography



























No comments:
Post a Comment