Monday, March 30

The Joys of Homework in Kindergarten

Just before Spring Break, Carson brought home a note telling about a dinosaur project that would be due the following Thursday. We have had a hard time with what little homework he has had this year because most of the time it comes on Tuesdays. We leave for church at 5:15 or as soon as Chris gets home from work. It makes it really hard to get these assignments all completed for the following day. I was so glad to have about two weeks notice for this project as well. We did not find out about his last project until two days before, so this was a HUGE help, as well as having Spring Break to work on the dino. I asked my mom to brainstorm ideas of a fun and creative display of something dinosaurish. Low and behold, she remembered Kaylee's kindergarten dino project (completed and turned in about sixteen years ago.) She told me that she knew she still had the paper mache bone somewhere, but I never imagined her finding it after all this time. Amazingly, the first place she looked, she found the bone. This was going to save us a ton of time. I couldn't believe it.
We repainted the bone, mostly because it had Kaylee's name written on it. We painted a paper box lid brown, filled it with dirt, and semi-buried the bone. Carson added some moss to the top of the dirt, I wrote out a label for what kind of bone it was, and Carson copied exactly what I wrote plus added his name so everyone would know whose display it was.
He was super excited about taking his project to school. All his other friends had made a dinosaur model out of balloons, cups, paper and all sorts of things, but he was the only one with a giant bone. I was super excited that we didn't have to break out the icky paper mache and make our own. It was lots of fun to work together on a project as a family. Carson and I picked out a project for Olivia while we were at Hobby Lobby gathering supplies. She worked quietly at the table, Carson and Chris shoveled up the dirt, we painted, stuffed moss, laughed and had tons of fun. If only homework could be this much fun for the rest of their lives.

No comments: