Wednesday, January 28

Preggo Belly Saves The Day

It's been one of those weeks where some kind of sickness gets ahold of me and just won't let go. After struggling to breath, blowing my nose like crazy, and wiping my watery eyes, I decided to head to the clinic for some meds. I was second in line, so this made it seem like it would be a great day after all. The doctor came in so fast, that I was really impressed. He looked in my ears, nose, throat, and listened to my chest. He never said what it was that I had but just told me it was going around. He prescribed me an antibiotic and a cough medicine, and I was on my way out the door in less than fifteen minutes. Pretty amazing, huh? On my way out, apparently the doctor took a good look at me and noticed I was carrying a little extra weight up front. He glanced over at the paper the nurse had filled out and saw where it said I was 24 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes. How could he have missed these two very important pieces of information? He called me back so that he could change my prescriptions to something that was safer for Emerson and me. I'm just glad he noticed me as I walked out or I would have been taking something that is not meant for pregnant women.

I decided it was too cold to get out again and wait for the prescriptions to be filled, so I just headed back home to get in my warm bed. I text Chris to see if he would pick my medicine up before he came home for lunch. He agreed, of course. A little after noon, I got a call from him asking me if I was suppose to have three medications. No, it was only one. Apparently the doctor had not canceled the first two out when he sent in the correct one. Here Chris was being asked to pay $115, after insurance, for two meds I didn't even need. The pharmacist did not know for sure which of the two antibiotics was the correct one, so I ended up not getting the medicine until later that afternoon when Chris got off work because the pharmacy was waiting to confirm the correct medicine with the doctor. It ended up only costing us $15 for the medicine, but that was the only good thing to come out of this whole mess.

So here I am, back at work. I'm still not feeling so hot, but at least I've got some medication that won't harm my unborn child, right? Let's hope so.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Sometimes Doc in the Box is really busy, I can understand that...But to miss what he missed! YIKES!
I'm glad y'all got that straightened out and hope you and Emerson are feeling better!